From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What's up with the "hardened" USE flag?
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 22:38:01
1 On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 00:47:07 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > > Why not? I see no downside to it but I'm willing to be educated.
4 >
5 > Imagine this: A package is built by default with Gtk as well as with
6 > Qt support. There is no USE flag which would omit building with one of
7 > those. Then, the ebuild developer introduces those USE flags.
8 > --changed-use will not catch this, so you will continue having both Gtk
9 > and Qt support in the package, even though you're interested only in
10 > one of them (Gnome vs KDE user, for example).
11 >
12 > Or, imagine another scenario. A package offers multithreading support,
13 > resulting in a huge speed-up on machines with more than one core or
14 > CPU. But the ebuild configures and builds the package without
15 > multithreading, and there's no USE flag. When the ebuild dev puts a
16 > USE flag in there (and probably turns it on by default), --changed-use
17 > will also not catch this, because it's not a USE flag that changed, but
18 > instead a new one that wasn't there before. So you will continue
19 > running the package in its slow built, missing out on the big
20 > performance gain.
21
22 changed-use also acts on added/removed flags, it just doesn't recompile
23 when the added/removed flag is not in use. So if my KDE system has -gtk
24 to use your first example, you are right in that adding a gtk USE flag
25 will not rebuild it until the next update and my program will continue to
26 work as it did. However, adding an enabled multithreading USE flag as
27 your second example will force a rebuild.
28
29 It seems that the trade off here is that I have may have cruft that was
30 previously compulsory but is now optional for a couple of weeks, but I
31 won't have to rebuild libreoffice or xulrunner every time a dev tweaks a
32 USE flag that doesn't affect me.
33
34 That seems a reasonable trade to me, but I still have an open mind.
38 Neil Bothwick
39
40 Top Oxymorons Number 2: Exact estimate