From: Daniel Pielmeier <billie@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What's up with the "hardened" USE flag?
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 18:39:13
1 Neil Bothwick schrieb am 05.07.2011 00:36:
2 > On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 00:47:07 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Why not? I see no downside to it but I'm willing to be educated.
5 >>>
6 >>
7 >> Imagine this: A package is built by default with Gtk as well as
8 >> with Qt support. There is no USE flag which would omit building
9 >> with one of those. Then, the ebuild developer introduces those
10 >> USE flags. --changed-use will not catch this, so you will continue
11 >> having both Gtk and Qt support in the package, even though you're
12 >> interested only in one of them (Gnome vs KDE user, for example).
13 >>
14 >> Or, imagine another scenario. A package offers multithreading
15 >> support, resulting in a huge speed-up on machines with more than
16 >> one core or CPU. But the ebuild configures and builds the package
17 >> without multithreading, and there's no USE flag. When the ebuild
18 >> dev puts a USE flag in there (and probably turns it on by
19 >> default), --changed-use will also not catch this, because it's not
20 >> a USE flag that changed, but instead a new one that wasn't there
21 >> before. So you will continue running the package in its slow built,
22 >> missing out on the big performance gain.
23 >
24 > changed-use also acts on added/removed flags, it just doesn't
25 > recompile when the added/removed flag is not in use. So if my KDE
26 > system has -gtk to use your first example, you are right in that
27 > adding a gtk USE flag will not rebuild it until the next update and
28 > my program will continue to work as it did. However, adding an
29 > enabled multithreading USE flag as your second example will force a
30 > rebuild.
31 >
32 > It seems that the trade off here is that I have may have cruft that
33 > was previously compulsory but is now optional for a couple of weeks,
34 > but I won't have to rebuild libreoffice or xulrunner every time a dev
35 > tweaks a USE flag that doesn't affect me.
36 >
37 > That seems a reasonable trade to me, but I still have an open mind.
38
39 The first scenario from Nikos seems valid but the second one with the
40 per default enabled USE flag will trigger a rebuild as --changed-use
41 only avoid rebuilds for disabled USE flags which are added or removed.
42
43 I personally can only think of another issue. There may be a completely
44 new use flag which you might want to enable. With --changed-use the
45 changes wont show up in the depgraph and you are not aware of the new
46 feature. You will only get them later when there is a version/revision bump.
49 These are all minor things and as you said it is a reasonable trade for
50 you to avoid useless rebuilds. Using --newuse instead of --changed-use
51 is just my personal preference. Many systems are idling around most of
52 the time, with --newuse they have to do something :)
55 Regards,
56 Daniel