From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: default CONFIG_PROTECT behavior
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 08:45:41
1 On Monday, 18 June 2018 03:35:05 BST Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2018-06-17 18:12, Mick wrote:
3 > > From the fine manual:
4 > > z Zap (delete) the new config file and continue.
5 >
6 > So what do you do if the merge of this file is too hard and you want to
7 > do it another time? The answer seems to be q (quit) or n (next), but
8 > _nothing_ in the documentation says this is safe.
9
10 I see what you mean. The responsibility of not breaking your system,
11 especially in gentoo, belongs to you, but we could all do with a bit of help
12 from the devs. Most of these config file update commands do not tell you if
13 you will be breaking your system when you adopt or reject some new config file
14 content or syntax change, although enotices tend to be informative enough in
15 this respect.
16
17 Regarding the various options in dispatch-conf, this is my understanding of
18 their relative safety:
19
20 zap - deletes the new config file with its default content. You can't go back
21 to review it to see what the devs are now proposing/mandating. If the changes
22 between your old config and the newly emerged config are significant, you
23 could have application/system breakage and/or missing functionality since you
24 have not configured it. Applications and daemons you have set to start up in
25 some runlevel can now fail at boot time - e.g. sshd - and leave you stranded.
26 You can still re-emerge the package with --noconfmem to pull in afresh the new
27 config file.
28
29 quit - will just exit dispatch-conf. The new config files will be available
30 for you to update to, next time you run dispatch-conf, or etc-update. The
31 previous points regarding safety also apply to this action. Some changes in
32 the config file can affect your system, or applications.
33
34 next - will not deal at all with the current config file, just load the next
35 config file in the queue for you to review. If there is no other config file
36 waiting for an update it will exit dispatch-conf. Next time you run dispatch-
37 conf the file you skipped will be there for you to review. The previous
38 points regarding safety also apply to this action.
41 > > For files which have a lot of changes, some of which I wish to reject
42 > > and some to accept, I tend to use m (for merging). Again from the
43 > > fine manual:
44 > >
45 > > m Interactively merge the current and new config files.
46 >
47 > The problem (or multiple problems) here is that it doesn't say what is
48 > being merged into what (no, its not symmetric), and to compound that it
49 > doesn't just leave this file alone and quit or go on to the next file;
50 > it shows some diff again. What does this new diff mean? I can't make
51 > sense of it without answering my other questions.
52
53 While you're merging the new config content into your existing, a new
54 temporary merge_file is created, a hybrid of the two. Until you accept it, it
55 will not replace your old config.
56
57 The second diff that comes up (if you press l) shows the changes you have
58 accepted/rejected. It gives you a chance to change your mind and abort this
59 merge, so you can try it again, or to return another time to review the
60 changes. If you abort the merge_file is deleted.
63 > To clarify: I don't think this is simply a usability problem that can be
64 > addressed by using better or more verbose English. I think there is a
65 > "big picture", a concept of what is being done, and this concept has not
66 > found its way into the documentation or the UI itself.
67 >
68 > In particular, I suspect the developers think of it as merging my mods
69 > into the "official" packaged versions, while I want to handle it the
70 > other way: I see my version as the "master" or "trunk", and I want to
71 > merge the package mods into it.
72 >
73 > But I really don't know. I am confused :-P
74
75 I'm not sure if this is how the devs have been thinking config file updates
76 are meant to be handled, but TBH I can't see much of a difference in the
77 concept. When you use m to merge the files, left is your own/old
78 configuration settings and right is the devs default settings. Until you
79 accept/reject all or some of these your own config file stays as is.
80
81 I haven't found a major difference between dispatch-conf and etc-update in
82 their usage, the former uses letters, the latter numbers in their menu of
83 actions.
84 --
85 Regards,
86 Mick