From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Web based ftp alternative
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 21:15:51
1 On Tuesday 28 October 2008 22:10:37 Momesso Andrea wrote:
2 > > Why not just have them view the ftp site in the browser?
3 > >
4 > > User's aren't stupid and can cope with stuff - they will see a hierarchy
5 > > of folders just like what they see in My Computer and might be asked for
6 > > a username and password - just like in gmail.
7 > >
8 > > What's the problem with such an arrangement?
9 >
10 > Hmmm... And how do they upload?
11
12 Ahem.
13
14 Allow me to introduce you to my good friend drag and his charming wife drop.
15
16 Browsers ARE ftp clients and know about ftp put and get just like they know
17 about http GET, PUT and POST. Caveat: Firefox needs a plugin and those
18 wonderful chaps who write IE7 helpfully removed this feature. Konqueror and
19 Nautilus JustDoIt(tm).
20
21 Your other option is that insanely convoluted method that phpBB forums use for
22 file uploads. Aunt Tillie has never yet been observed to understand what the
23 forum wants her to do with that function.
26 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com