From: Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Web based ftp alternative
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 06:05:45
1 On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 11:15:39PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 28 October 2008 22:10:37 Momesso Andrea wrote:
3 > > > Why not just have them view the ftp site in the browser?
4 > > >
5 > > > User's aren't stupid and can cope with stuff - they will see a hierarchy
6 > > > of folders just like what they see in My Computer and might be asked for
7 > > > a username and password - just like in gmail.
8 > > >
9 > > > What's the problem with such an arrangement?
10 > >
11 > > Hmmm... And how do they upload?
12 >
13 > Ahem.
14 >
15 > Allow me to introduce you to my good friend drag and his charming wife drop.
16
17 Nice to meet them :P
20 > Browsers ARE ftp clients and know about ftp put and get just like they know
21 > about http GET, PUT and POST. Caveat: Firefox needs a plugin and those
22 > wonderful chaps who write IE7 helpfully removed this feature. Konqueror and
23 > Nautilus JustDoIt(tm).
24 >
25 Most of the users I'm serving don't even know about about Konqueror and
26 Nautilus... And if they have ever installed a firefox plugin, that is
27 the one called "Bring The Porn".
28
29 By they way I cannot cut away such a big part of the audience just
30 because they don't have a compliant browser.
31
32 > Your other option is that insanely convoluted method that phpBB forums use for
33 > file uploads. Aunt Tillie has never yet been observed to understand what the
34 > forum wants her to do with that function.
37 Egroupware has something similar to what I need, the just call it
38 FileManager:
39 "Managing files stored in the (VFS)? (virtual file system) based on
40 files, sql-db or webdav."
41
42 It gives the ability to upload files and stores in the database a lot of
43 useful metadata (date of upload, name of uploader, short description,
44 wether it is updated or not etc...).