From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: snafu: the update
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 07:43:46
1 On 01/26/2017 01:58 AM, Alan Grimes wrote:
2 > Tom H wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 >>> The linux kernel stalls stone cold dead in either direct from firmware
5 >>> or pass through grub mode.
6 >> AFAIK, when you load the kernel directly from the EFI firmware, it has
7 >> to have the ".efi" suffix. But that doesn't explain why it would stall
8 >> when loaded from grub...
9 >>
10 >> Somewhat OT: Regarding grub, your "/boot/" is messy. It might not be
11 >> making a difference for (efi)-grub2's functioning but you have grub1
12 >> files (*stage1_5), grub2 bios files (i386-pc/), as well as grub2 efi
13 >> files (x86_64-efi/).
14 >
15 > Yeah, I've been using that directory for many many long years, I ended
16 > up removing the grub directory completely and re-installing, it's much
17 > cleaner now.
18
19 You have done it wrong, actually :-P
20
21 You are mounting the EFI partition as /boot. You should be mounting it
22 as /boot/efi.
23
24 /boot can just be a subdirectory of the root partition, and thus use the
25 ext4 filesystem, while /boot/efi should be the vfat EFI partition. So
26 you should have /boot/efi/EFI.
27
28 Right now, your kernels, configs, etc, are on vfat. Which completely
29 lacks a Unix permission scheme, or ACL.
30
31 Fortunately, this is easy to fix. Just umount /boot, change your fstab,
32 mkdir /boot/efi, mount /boot/efi, and move everything from /boot/efi to
33 /boot except /boot/efi/EFI.