From: Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] snafu: the update
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 23:58:38
1 Tom H wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> The linux kernel stalls stone cold dead in either direct from firmware
4 >> or pass through grub mode.
5 > AFAIK, when you load the kernel directly from the EFI firmware, it has
6 > to have the ".efi" suffix. But that doesn't explain why it would stall
7 > when loaded from grub...
8 >
9 > Somewhat OT: Regarding grub, your "/boot/" is messy. It might not be
10 > making a difference for (efi)-grub2's functioning but you have grub1
11 > files (*stage1_5), grub2 bios files (i386-pc/), as well as grub2 efi
12 > files (x86_64-efi/).
13
14 Yeah, I've been using that directory for many many long years, I ended
15 up removing the grub directory completely and re-installing, it's much
16 cleaner now.
17
18 I think there's something with how I'm compiling the kernel and the EFI
19 boot requirements aren't quite being met and the loader is trying to
20 execute non-code or some other error of that general nature. But that's
21 just a brainstorm, I really hate it when my machine gives me this kind
22 of problem where I don't even have an error message.
23
24 #### FROM GRUB.CFG #####
25
26 echo 'Loading Linux 4.6.7
27 ...' <<<< it successfully executes
28 this line.
29 linux /vmlinuz-4.6.7 root=/dev/sda2 ro
30 check_enable_amd_mmconf amd_iommu=fullflush iommu=soft
31
32 <<<< but fails before the first output from the kernel.
34
35 Hmm, I just realized that I had been assuming my machine had a proper 64
36 bit loader, maybe it's 32 bit for some stupid reason, enabling kernel
37 flag and doing another test (after dinner and some youtube vids...)
40 Strange Game.
41 The only winning move is not to play.
42
43 Powers are not rights.