From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Two new-install questions
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2020 09:00:41
1 On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 03:13:55PM +0300, Alexey Mishustin wrote:
2 > пт, 10 июл. 2020 г. в 08:27, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>:
3 >
4 > > 2) When building xorg-server I got a news item about the "suid" flag
5 > > soon no longer being default for xorg-server. I forced it manually on
6 > > my laptop and desktop. The other 3 options were...
7 > >
8 > > * systemd... no thanks.
9 > > * elogind... with PAM doing the authentication... no thanks. I've
10 > > tangled with PAM in the past once too often.
11 > > * some memory-heavy "desktop environment" on my 3-gigs-ram-laptop...
12 > > no thanks.
13 >
14 > There is a way to run rootless X without elogind:
15 >
16 > For Nouveau and Intel video cards except xorg modesetting driver:
17 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Non_root_Xorg
18 >
19 > For AMD video cards and/or xorg modesetting driver:
20 > https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1092792-start-0.html
21
22 There was some debate on Gentoo-Dev regarding this a while ago ([1] is the
23 discussion, and [2] is the final announcement). It was suggested in [3] that
24 disabling `suid` is a step forward, as running X as root is "anti-pattern",
25 which is probably correct for most cases. Nonetheless, as you do not want to use
26 any of the proposed alternatives (XDM or `startx` with systemd/elogind), just
27 re-enable `suid` and use X as it always has been used in the past, however
28 "anti-UNIX" that may be.
29
30 The other fundamental reason for this change was security. As described by Dale
31 in [4], from a user's perspective, it should be a reasonable expectation that
32 the defaults, especially for such a widely used package, are secure.
33
34 [1] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/58660319f295f643ae89946d49e0156e
35 [2] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/b44d49d7a92e01ce97338e9087ec9323
36 [3] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/6ce49ea52cbb9a1452e30d4b91f7b27c