From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are those "green" drives any good?
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 16:41:53
1 On May 9, 2012 7:36 PM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > As for RAID, +100 to not use them. The WD Green drives do not support
4 > time-limited error recovery (TLER) and spin down based on their view
5 > of trying to save power. For me anyway they simply didn't work well in
6 > any RAID configuration. I switched my home compute server to
7 > Enterprise drives which have worked perfectly for 2+ years.
10 I can understand how 'green' drives can fcuk up hardware RAID arrays.
11
12 But what about software RAID, e.g., dmraid? Can't we just configure it to
13 be 'more forgiving'?
14
15 Rgds,