From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are those "green" drives any good?
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 12:32:27
1 On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 4:47 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2012-05-09 4:47 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> As some know, I'm planning to buy me a LARGE hard drive to put all my
5 >> videos on, eventually.  The prices are coming down now.  I keep seeing
6 >> these "green" drives that are made by just about every company nowadays.
7 >>  When comparing them to a non "green" drive, do they hold up as good?
10 > As long as you don't use them in any kind of RAID setup you they should be
11 > fine.
12 >
13 > The biggest difference between them and 'enterprise' class drives is the
14 > enterprise class drives are designed for multi-drive RAID setups... you
15 > don't want drives to spin down independently when working in a RAID setup...
18 +1
19
20 I use the WD 1TB Green drive for storing video outside my machine
21 using both USB & eSATA. Works fine. Very quite, cool. Way faster than
22 necessary for streaming movies. Nice.
23
24 As for RAID, +100 to not use them. The WD Green drives do not support
25 time-limited error recovery (TLER) and spin down based on their view
26 of trying to save power. For me anyway they simply didn't work well in
27 any RAID configuration. I switched my home compute server to
28 Enterprise drives which have worked perfectly for 2+ years.
29
30 HTH,
31 Mark