From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: This nite's switch to "full multilib"
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 20:19:05
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
4 > > I think we need to get away from solutions that clutter up
5 > > configuration in the first place. I'm not under any illusions that
6 > > this will ever be perfect, but I do think we can do better.
7
8 Amen.
11 > Agreed, but this is about managing the options we have now. Like it or
12 > not, we need to put extra entries in package.use and eix-test-obsolete is
13 > the best current way of removing them when they're no longer needed, as
14 > portage's autounmask facility only adds to the file, it never cleans up
15 > after itself.
16
17 And Amen, brother. As stated before, it reminds one of parenting where
18 teenagers must take responsibility to clean up after themselves. GLEP 64
19 will go a long way to providing the framework for tool/code creation
20 to clean up many, many errant files on gentoo. In fact if one were
21 to desire building a system that is fully verified, you'd need something
22 like GLEP-64 as the beginning or organization and tracking of what
23 it's installed. Granted EAPI-5 is moving in the right direction, and it
24 looks like we are moving to make that a requirement for all packages on gentoo.
25
26 On my journey to learn more deeply about gentoo, I have looked closely
27 at dozens and dozens of packages, maybe over 100. It is a freaking mess.
28 Little consistency or structure or requirements from long ago, still
29 have their remnants of effects.
30
31 I find eix-test-obsolete (ETO) only produces valid things to address, at the
32 lower end of the 20% mark. There is no way to 'tame the best' on it's sputum
33 so I do not use it. The best ETO can do is suggest a list of things to look
34 at (manually) for possible need of attention. If folks are really concerned
35 about efficiency; it is quite easy to "prune" portage manually. I use
36 scripts based on size or date, when I feel the need. Remove something
37 important?: just --sync and download again; no worries. After all one can
38 --sync to get something back if it is lost and of value. As I find
39 attachment to codes that I want some permanency, I just replicate them into
40 /usr/local/portage. I often like to keep old codes around (a very valid
41 reason for 2T drives) to look at various codes and how they evolved. The
42 various eclasses one package uses versus the eclasses chosen by another dev
43 to package up a code. ETO thinks old codes and old kernels are cruft. I
44 think the myriad of files spewed when some ebuilds are installed are cruft
45 and they are often not accounted for when packages are removed.
46
47 So let's all get behind GLEP-64 so folks can build some real tools
48 for cleaning up and maintaining gentoo based systems. If you
49 really want to "get up" on this issue, read up on "Directed Graphs",
50 particularly DAGs, and you'll begin to understand what is possible
51 if GLEP-64 is *pushed* via the user base as a demand for those motivated
52 devs to move us to a GLEP-64 compliant gentoo.
53
54 Currently, unless you manually groom your gentoo system(s), you end up with
55 a pig_sty as remnants of codes, installs, configs etc etc just pile up and
56 it takes a "one off" inspection to filter many files as to "should I stay or
57 should I go now" (old punk lyrics....).
60 It is way past time for gentoo to offer robust tools for monitoring
61 and cleaning out cruft. What is cruft, needs to definable by the system
62 owner. So the codes and tools will need to be flexible to fit the needs and
63 desires of the user base, and therein we have much work to do, imho.
66 hth,
67 James