From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] This nite's switch to "full multilib"
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 12:12:44
1 On Sun, 5 Apr 2015 07:21:01 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > > It's like being a teenager again, the longer you leave tidying your
4 > > room, the longer it takes when your mum makes you do it :)
7 > Don't want to harp on it, but I almost never have to clean my world
8 > file, and when I do I don't need any tools at all to make it happen.
9 > This is because the world file revolves around me and my true
10 > requirements, and not an endless list of hints to try to get the
11 > package manager to do what I want it to do.
12
13 We're talking about /etc/portage/package.* here. not @world. I too rarely
14 need to touch world.
15
16 > I think we need to get away from solutions that clutter up
17 > configuration in the first place. I'm not under any illusions that
18 > this will ever be perfect, but I do think we can do better.
19
20 Agreed, but this is about managing the options we have now. Like it or
21 not, we need to put extra entries in package.use and eix-test-obsolete is
22 the best current way of removing them when they're no longer needed, as
23 portage's autounmask facility only adds to the file, it never cleans up
24 after itself.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Oxymoron: Reagan memoirs.