From: Urs Schutz <u.schutz@×××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Consistency checking
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 12:10:30
1 On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 19:00:04 +0100
2 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3
4 > Urs Schutz <u.schutz@×××××××.ch> [11-11-01 18:04]:
5 > > On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 04:45:25 +0100
6 > > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > Hi,
9 > > >
10 > > > I know of three commands to check the consistency of a
11 > > > Gentoo system:
12 > > >
13 > > >
14 > > > eix-sync && emerge --color=n -p -v --newuse
15 > > > --update --deep world emerge -p -v --depclean
16 > > > revdep-rebuild --ignore -p -v
17 > > >
18 > > > of course, one has to remove the -p and -v flags after
19 > > > checking the putput of the commands.
20 > > >
21 > > > What else can be checked and should be checked from
22 > > > time to time or after each update?
23 > > >
24 > > > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
25 > > >
26 > > > Best regards,
27 > > > mcc
28 > > >
29 snip...
30 <>
31 snip...
32 >
33 > Hi,
34 >
35 > thank you all very much for the checks listed.
36 >
37 > One question remains:
38 > What sequence of commands is adviced to guarantee
39 > the best effect on the one hand and on the other hand
40 > not to be urged to recompile things -- especially
41 > those like libreoffice...-- twice and more?
42 >
43 > Thank you very much in advance for your help!
44 > Best regards,
45 > mcc
50 Portage is clever, and does not build libreoffice twice,
51 even if you change the sequence. Some binary packages are
52 faster to install. I'm pretty happy with the prebuilt
53 version of libreoffice. If you stay with stable packets
54 there is less rebuilding of heavy packages, as they
55 normally get less updates.
56
57 The sequence depends on what use you have. I would do it
58 differently on a server 1000 km away, but anyway here is
59 what I do normally on my laptop:
60
61 > eix-sync
62 then learn about the new packages in portage, look for what
63 gets updated.
64
65 Then
66 > emerge -uDpvtN world
67 to see if there is any blockers, licenses or any other
68 inconsistencies which need to be resolved manually first
69 (running a mix of stable and unstable packages here, so
70 this happens from time to time).
71
72 Then portage may work in the background, while I do my
73 usual work on the laptop (all on one line):
74 > emerge -uDN world && revdep-rebuild -i && cfg-update -u &&
75 elogv
76 When the ventilator noise stops and cpu temperatures drop I
77 check the yellow and red elogv output lines, and if there is
78 something indicated by the package maintainers I do it right
79 away.
80 I simply delete the green elogv output lines.
81
82 Sometimes I do a
83 > emerge --depclean -p
84 more because portage says that one should do it. I feel
85 that it is a lot of work to go through the package list
86 manually and do not see the immediate benefit in doing it
87 often. When I remove packages, I always do
88 > emerge -uDN world && revdep-rebuild -i && elogv
89 as I don't trust the state of the system after removing
90 packages.
91
92 > eix-test-obsolete -d
93 is easy if it is done often, as there is little corrective
94 action to do on a day to day basis.
95
96 > eclean-dist -d -p
97 This is really fast and painless, if you do not need old
98 package sources.
99
100 > glsa-check -t all
101 should find no problems if you have an up to date
102 installation.
103
104 > eselect news list
105 and
106 > eselect news read xx
107 is always a good thing to do and helps you to prevent the
108 big problems with a evolving Gentoo installation.
109
110 If there is a day without portage updates for your packages
111 you could do
112 > emerge -uDN --complete-graph --with-bdeps=y world
113 or
114 > rkhunter
115 or
116 > smartctl --all /dev/sda
117 or
118 > freshclam && clamscan
119 or build a new kernel, just to have some fun...
120
121 Sometimes I get a little jealous when I see my nephew
122 installing programs and updating applications in Ubuntu...
123
124 Regards
125 Urs