From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] raid/partition question
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:48:50
1 On Monday 20 February 2006 11:51, brettholcomb@×××××××××.net wrote about
2 'Re: Re: [gentoo-user] raid/partition question':
3 > As an extension of this question since I'm working on setting up a
4 > system now.
5 >
6 > What is better to do with LVM2 after the RAID is created. I am using
7 > EVMS also.
8 >
9 > 1. Make all the RAID freespace a big LVM2 container and then and then
10 > create LVM2 volumes on top of this big container.
11 >
12 > or
13 >
14 > 2. Parcel out the RAID freespace into LVM2 containers for each partiton
15 > (/, /user, etc.).
16
17 3. Neither. See below. First a discussion of the two options.
18
19 1. Is fine, but it forces you to choose a single raid level for all your
20 data. I like raid 0 for filesystems that are used a lot, but can easily
21 be reconstructed given time (/usr) and especially filesystems that don't
22 need to be reconstructed (/var/tmp), raid 5 or 6 for large filesystems
23 that I don't want to lose (/home, particularly), and raid 1 for critical,
24 but small, filesystems (/boot, maybe).
25
26 2. Is a little silly, since LVM is designed so that you can treat multiple
27 pvs as a single pool of data OR you can allocate from a certain pv --
28 whatever suits the task at hand. So, it rarely makes sense to have
29 multiple volume groups; you'd only do this when you want a fault-tolerant
30 "air-gap" between two filesystems.
31
32 Failure of a single pv in a vg will require some damage control, maybe a
33 little, maybe a lot, but having production encounter any problems just
34 because development had a disk go bad is unacceptable is many
35 environments. So, you have a strong argument for separate vgs there.
36
37 3. My approach: While I don't use EVMS (the LVM tools are fine with me, at
38 least for now) I have a software raid 0 and a hw raid 5 as separate pvs in
39 a single vg. I create and expand lvs on the pv that suits the data. I
40 also have a separate (not under lvm) hw raid 0 for swap and hw raid 6 for
41 boot. I may migrate my swap to LVM in the near future; during my initial
42 setup, I feared it was unsafe. Recent experience tells me that's (most
43 likely) not the case.
44
45 For the uninitiated, you can specify the pv to place lv data on like so:
48 The second command only affect where new extents are allocated, it will not
49 move old extents; use pvmove for that.
52 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
53 bss03@××××××××××.com
54 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy
55 --