From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Now Know Why Portage Is So Slow
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 20:43:19
1 On 5/25/06, Steven Susbauer <stupendoussteve@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > On Thu, 25 May 2006, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
5 >
6 > > > I also get the bonehead award: there was a new kernel sitting on my
7 > > > hard drive and just yesterday I found and installed it. It was
8 > > > remarkably easy to install! I loaded the configuration file from my
9 > > > old kernel and then just make && make install and it worked! I didn't
10 > > > even have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst! Dang... I got done and said
11 > > > "that was easy." I think I'm really getting the hang of all this!
12 > >
13 > > You have run an "emerge -u world" and it got the kernel sources, you
14 > > have no special needs and so the default configuration fit your need,
15 > > compiling kernels is EASY, making them work, that's a hard one.
16 > >
17 > > You sincerely must be booting from your old kernel and your
18 > > /usr/src/linux link must be pointing at your old sources, else you
19 > > would have some problems and probably would have to recompile,
20 > > reconfigure some stuff, because after make and all, you should copy
21 > > the image to /boot and, if necessary, change the grub.conf (menu.lst)
22 > > to point at the right file.
23 > >
24 > > See the Kernel upgrade guide at Gentoo.org for more info.
25 >
26 > I don't know what the default grub.conf is for the Gentoo installer, but
27
28 It points at a kernel named as Genkernel does.
29
30 > if it points to /boot/vmlinuz then make install is sufficient to install
31
32 That's why I know it isn't pointing at vmlinuz, because the installer
33 (and thus, the OP) uses genkernel.
34
35 > the new, working kernel... it rewrites symlinks to the new kernel. BTW,
36
37 Only if you specifically do a USE="symlink" emerge gentoo-sources
38
39 > he copied the config from his old kernel, it
40 > is not using the default options and thus *should* work just fine.
41
42 Yeah, I missed that line. You're right. But he didn't installed the
43 new kernel, and alsa-driver, ndiswrapper, nvidia drivers and a lot of
44 other stuff claim a new compile after a kernel upgrade, I doubt it
45 would be as clean as the OP stated. But yeah, it may happen.
48 Daniel da Veiga
49 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
57 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list