From: Steven Susbauer <stupendoussteve@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Now Know Why Portage Is So Slow
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 02:35:54
2 > > he copied the config from his old kernel, it
3 > > is not using the default options and thus *should* work just fine.
4 >
5 > Yeah, I missed that line. You're right. But he didn't installed the
6 > new kernel, and alsa-driver, ndiswrapper, nvidia drivers and a lot of
7 > other stuff claim a new compile after a kernel upgrade, I doubt it
8 > would be as clean as the OP stated. But yeah, it may happen.
11 alsa could easily be built into the kernel, I know when I install a new
12 kernel it is as easy as running make and make install, and re-emerging the
13 nvidia-kernel if I'm using it. AFAIK this person didn't say anything about
14 alsa, nvidia, ndiswrapper, etc. etc. A kernel compile compile and
15 install is precisely as easy as the OP stated. make && make install &&
16 (make modules_install) is all it takes, if you're pointing at
17 /boot/vmlinuz.
18 --
19 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list