From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Now Know Why Portage Is So Slow
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 03:01:29
1 On 5/25/06, Steven Susbauer <stupendoussteve@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > >
3 > > > he copied the config from his old kernel, it
4 > > > is not using the default options and thus *should* work just fine.
5 > >
6 > > Yeah, I missed that line. You're right. But he didn't installed the
7 > > new kernel, and alsa-driver, ndiswrapper, nvidia drivers and a lot of
8 > > other stuff claim a new compile after a kernel upgrade, I doubt it
9 > > would be as clean as the OP stated. But yeah, it may happen.
12 > alsa could easily be built into the kernel, I know when I install a new
13 > kernel it is as easy as running make and make install, and re-emerging the
14 > nvidia-kernel if I'm using it. AFAIK this person didn't say anything about
15 > alsa, nvidia, ndiswrapper, etc. etc. A kernel compile compile and
16 > install is precisely as easy as the OP stated. make && make install &&
17 > (make modules_install) is all it takes, if you're pointing at
18 > /boot/vmlinuz.
19
20 But he isn't because he used the installer and thus use genkernel,
21 hmm, its like the third time I'll say that, so, I'll stop and report
22 you all to read the complete thread.
25 Daniel da Veiga
26 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list