From: Rumen Yotov <rumen@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is the latest release 2006.1?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 07:48:47
1 Hi,
2 On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:52:42 +0100
3 Hamie <hamish@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4
5 > On Sunday 15 April 2007 07:37, Dale wrote:
6 > > Norberto Bensa wrote:
7 > > > Daniel da Veiga wrote:
8 > > >> On 4/15/07, Norberto Bensa <nbensa@×××.net> wrote:
9 > > >>> Not true. 2006.1 doesn't boot on my hardware.
10 > > >
11 > > > ...
12 > > >
13 > > >>> We (I) need 2007.0 ASAP.
14 > > >>
15 > > >> Just get any old version (that works),
16 > > >
17 > > > That's the point. None works. The media needs kernel 2.6.18 or
18 > > > better.
19 > > >
20 > > > I can use Knoppix or Ubuntu, but that's not the point.
21 > >
22 > > Maybe some are not understanding the point he is making. If I
23 > > understand correctly, he needs a newer release so that when he
24 > > boots the CD to do a install, it will see his hardware. It would
25 > > appear that the
26 >
27 > The same thing happens on my laptop as well (Thinkpad Z61m,
28 > core2Duo). The Gentoo boot disks just don't have the drivers. I had
29 > to boot a Knoppix disk, install that, then do gentoo as a chroot...
30 > Which was a REAL nightmare because the knoppix was 32bit & I wanted a
31 > 64-bit install (It took messing around with a kernel from a ~amd64
32 > desktop manually copied over as well before I could get gentoo
33 > installed correctly).
34 >
35 > H
36 Don't want to seem i recommend it, but you can try the Sabayon-miniCD
37 for a new install.
38 Don't know how actual the kernel/userspace are but in all cases newer
39 then 2006.1.
40 It's a Gentoo-based (slightly modified) distro.
41 A good thing is it updates it's install-CDs quite often.
42 HTH. Rumen
43 --
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list