From: Hamie <hamish@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is the latest release 2006.1?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:02:25
1 On Sunday 15 April 2007 07:37, Dale wrote:
2 > Norberto Bensa wrote:
3 > > Daniel da Veiga wrote:
4 > >> On 4/15/07, Norberto Bensa <nbensa@×××.net> wrote:
5 > >>> Not true. 2006.1 doesn't boot on my hardware.
6 > >
7 > > ...
8 > >
9 > >>> We (I) need 2007.0 ASAP.
10 > >>
11 > >> Just get any old version (that works),
12 > >
13 > > That's the point. None works. The media needs kernel 2.6.18 or better.
14 > >
15 > > I can use Knoppix or Ubuntu, but that's not the point.
16 >
17 > Maybe some are not understanding the point he is making. If I
18 > understand correctly, he needs a newer release so that when he boots the
19 > CD to do a install, it will see his hardware. It would appear that the
20
21 The same thing happens on my laptop as well (Thinkpad Z61m, core2Duo). The
22 Gentoo boot disks just don't have the drivers. I had to boot a Knoppix disk,
23 install that, then do gentoo as a chroot... Which was a REAL nightmare
24 because the knoppix was 32bit & I wanted a 64-bit install (It took messing
25 around with a kernel from a ~amd64 desktop manually copied over as well
26 before I could get gentoo installed correctly).
27
28 I'd hate to have to try & rebuild...
29
30 H