From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] network transfer speed
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 22:43:54
1 On 1/15/21 9:55 AM, Jack wrote:
2 [snip]
3 >>>>
4 >>>> I don't know where does the file he sync from.
5 >>>> If you sync a file from a server in other city, for a 20 to 22MB/s speed
6 >>>> is very normal. But if in home, that is not good.
7 >>>>
8 >>>> And for ftp and rsync.
9 >>>>       ftp is better for transferring a single large file once.
10 >>>>       rsync is better for a long-term, incremental synchronization. The
11 >>>> file verification of rsync may take a lot of time for first sync.
12 >>> There is a theoretical network speed as already mentioned.  There is a
13 >>> protocol speed, which may limit throughput if it has e.g. heavy encryption/
14 >>> compression and the CPU is anaemic.  Finally, there is a MoBo bus (SCSI/SATA/
15 >>> USB) and the media storage limit.  If using USB 1.1 or 2.0 and/or the disks
16 >>> are slow or experience write amplification, you'll find this will constrain
17 >>> the final transfer speed significantly.
18 >> The computers on this network are 2-meters apart and they both use SSD Drive (so USB limitation doesn't come under consideration).
19 >> Like I said, on my home network when I transfer the 24GB file I get about 110MiBps transfer, so I was expecting the same in remote location).
20 >> Some units are connected to a router Ausus RT-AC66U B1 but these ports are gigabit too.
21 > When you say the computers are remote, is it possible the file is passing through your local computer on the way between the two remote machines?  Where are you actually running the rsync command?
22
23 The fact that I'm logged via ssh over VPN to a remote network should not have any influence over network speed.
24 I just made a loop:
25 Network A ==> Internet ==> Network B
26 ssh back to Network A over internet and run "rsync" I got same speed (as if I run the command locally) on Network A 112MB/s
27
28 So the limiting factor is somewhere else.