From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I know which package needs to upgrade without using emerge --sync?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:16:35
1 Hello Thomas Tuttle,
2
3 > > > > I heard of that using emerge --sync frequently may hert my
4 > > > > hard-disk.
5 > >
6 > > Uninformed idiots who tell you total garbage like that ought to be
7 > > shot. No, they ought to be hung, drawn, quartered and their corpses
8 > > hung out on a stick to be picked clean by crows.
9 >
10 > I apologize for butting in, but this is actually possible if you are
11 > using a Flash memory medium, such as a CompactFlash card or a USB pen
12 > drive, for the filesystem containing Portage. It is true, as you said,
13 > that syncing often will cause no harm to a "normal" hard disk.
14
15 The statement specifically referred to a hard disk. Keeping portage on a
16 flash memory device would be insane.
17
18 > > Seriously, I spend half my days on support debunking just this kind
19 > > of twaddle.
20 >
21 > ...and scaring off users who passed it (probably just because they
22 > misunderstood or misinterpreted something) by replying like this.
23
24 If it scares them out of unquestioningly accepting and disseminating every
25 piece of uninformed rubbish they hear, is that such a bad thing?
26
27 Alan could have been a little more tactful, I suspect he was actually
28 biting his tongue and could have been more forceful I think he struck the
29 right balance. The original statement was ridiculous, not slightly in
30 error.
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 teG I sdrawkcaB eroM ehT oG I sdrawroF eroM ehT