From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing adobe flash on 64bit arch
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 23:51:48
1 On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I see in the amd64 FAQs this:
3 > ==============================
4 > Can I get Adobe Flash working?
5 > Yes. Just emerge adobe-flash. Adobe has provided a 64-bit Flash
6 > plugin starting with version 10.0.22.87. If you don't need the 32-bit
7 > plugin, then run echo "www-plugins/adobe-flash -32bit" >>
8 > /etc/portage/package.use. This will install only the 64-bit Flash
9 > plugin.
10 > ==============================
11 >
12 > So that I am clear, why would I want to install flash with both the
13 > 32bit and 64bit USE flags? If there is no reason for both flags, then
14 > should I be disabling the 32bit globally or are there other
15 > circumstances that mean I should only set it so for this package?
16
17 In the old days, when Flash and Java was only available as 32-bit
18 plug-ins, people also ran 32-bit versions of their browsers (in order
19 to be able to use those plug-ins). In the time since then, we had
20 nspluginwrapper to allow 32-bit plug-ins in 64-bit browsers, and now
21 we have native 64-bit plug-ins. I guess the 32-bit option is still
22 there for people who are still using the old set-up and haven't gone
23 to a totally 64-bit browser yet.