From: Jason Weisberger <jbdubbs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo VMWare image works on Intel but not AMD. Are they not interchangeable?
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 05:12:23
1 Daevid,
2
3 If your Gentoo installation was compiled with march=p4 or the like, your
4 image will not work on an AMD machine. The way to have them interchangeable
5 is to use march=i686 mtune=p4, that way there are no cpu-specific
6 instructions compiled into your binaries. mtune will just adjust the
7 scheduling to fit the pipeline of your most used arch. The one piece of
8 hardware that cannot be virtualized on an x86 machine is unfortunately the
9 cpu, unless of course you're running a new cpu with Intel Virtualization or
10 AMD's Pacifica. Even then, it can't deal with incompatible binaries.
11 You'll not just have to recompile your kernel, but your entire system with
12 the new cflags for it to work interchangeably.
13
14 Jason Weisberger
15