From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tar over ssh
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:50:21
1 On Jan 24, 2006, at 2:22 PM, Jeff wrote:
2
3 > This example that Francesco illustrates seems to work pretty well. I
4 > guess my main concern was with tar - would it be able to handle a
5 > filesystem this large? Myself, I haven't seen or heard any scary
6 > stories
7 > thus far. Anyone shed light on tar limitations?
8 >
9 all of tar's limitations will have to do with the output file.
10 typically, you'll run into problems at 2 gigs on some old kernels, or
11 *nix variants. tar used to have a limit of like 8 gigs or so,
12 assuming the underlying kernel/filesystem would allow it....but I
13 haven't tried to push that limit in quite a while. For instance, 4
14 gigs is where you crash if writing to a fat32 partition.
15
16 > Thanks for all the colorful replies.
17 >
18 > :-)
19 >
20 > -Jeff
21 >
22 > Francesco Riosa wrote:
23 >> Jeff wrote:
24 >>
25 >>> Hey guys.
26 >>>
27 >>> I've got this big fat backup server with no space left on the
28 >>> hard drive
29 >>> to store a tar file. I'd like to pipe a tar through ssh, but not
30 >>> sure
31 >>> what the command would be. Something to the effect of:
32 >>>
33 >>> # cat /var/backup | ssh backup.homelan.com 'tar data.info.gz'
34 >>>
35 >>> So that, the data is actually being sent over ssh, and then
36 >>> archived on
37 >>> the destination machine.
38 >>>
39 >>
40 >> tar -zcf - /var/backup | ssh backup.homelan.com "( cat >
41 >> data.info.gz )"
42 >>
43 >> something similar, probably is possible to avoid the use of cat bat
44 >> don't came in mind at the moment
45 >
46 > --
47 > Officer:
48 > We've analyzed their attack, sir, and there is a danger.
49 > Should I have your ship standing by?
50 > Governor Tarkin:
51 > Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you
52 > overestimate their chances.
53 >
54 > --
55 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list