From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [Preliminary report] Gnome-3.8 update works with openrc :)
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 01:01:04
1 On 07/29/2013 06:04 PM, walt wrote:
2 > I'm going to test cinnamon next, and I'll post results in a day or
3 > two.
4
5 Sad to report that gentoo's cinnamon-1.6.7-r2 is out of date :( Arch
6 linux installs gnome-3.8 and cinnamon-1.8.8-2, which work fairly well
7 together but not perfectly.
8
9 The reason cinnamon-1.8.x doesn't meet my needs perfectly is that the
10 developers of cinnamon panel applets are lagging a bit behind. That's
11 just the nature of open-source <sigh>.
12
13 Meanwhile the gnome devs, damn their eyes, continue to rip out stuff
14 that I use and depend on every day!
15
16 Gnome-3.8 just stepped over the line by removing gnome-panel completely,
17 thereby removing the gnome-panel applets I depend on, without providing
18 replacements for them. Grrrr!
19
20 Gnome-3.8 and systemd have a lot in common, I think. There is nothing
21 wrong with either one except that they are still works in progress, and
22 I want my gnome2 back because it did everything I need to do, and gnome3
23 just continues to rip stuff out. (I'm sure it will be okay eventually.)
24
25 Thanks for listening patiently to my complaints, and have a nice day ;)