From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: XWindow appearing in a non-graphical tty. A bug or feature?
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 15:22:35
1 On 2020-12-18, gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > During the last 22 years, I got used to the setting
4 > when the XWindow system appeared on one of
5 > the "graphical" virtual terminals, mostly on tty6 or tty7.
6 >
7 > However, after installing a new Gentoo system with
8 > gentoo-kernel, I found out that the XWindow system
9 > started to appear in the same tty, where I started it
10 > using the startx command, shadowing all that was
11 > typed there including the messages from the xorg-server.
12 >
13 > So, I just wonder: "Is it a bug or a feature?"
14
15 IIRC, this happened as part of the switch to running the X server as a
16 normal user instead of as root. As a normal user, you only "own" the
17 tty you logged in on, so that's the one used by X.
18
19 > And where exactly can one configure it?
20
21 I assume that if you switch back to running X as root, you get the old
22 behavior of the X server running on tty6/7/whatever. I don't know if
23 there's a way to get that behavior while still running non-root X.
26 Grant