From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to build kernel with old binutils?
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 17:33:20
1 On 2022-10-10, <flzdjhmtax@××××××××.uk> (Alan J. Wylie) <flzdjhmtax@××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> Can somebody give a clue how to specify the binutils to be used when
5 >> building a Linux kernel?
6 >
7 > $ man binutils-config
8 >
9 > The binutils-config script allows you to switch between different
10 > versions of binutils when you have installed multiple copies (see
11 > USE=multislot). It also allows you to manage multiple cross-compiling
12 > targets simultaneously.
13
14 AFAICT, that changes the binutils configuraiton for the entire
15 system. That's not what I want to do. I want to use specific binutils
16 versions for specific make invocations. [Similar to the way can for
17 gcc with "make GCC=/usr/bin/gcc-whatever".] Is there an option I
18 missed that just changes the configuration only for the current shell
19 session?
22 Grant