From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to build kernel with old binutils?
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 16:16:25
1 On Oct 10, 2022, 12:46 PM Alan J. Wylie wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On 2022-10-10, <flzdjhmtax@××××××××.uk> (Alan J. Wylie) <flzdjhmtax@××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > >> $ man binutils-config
5 > >>
6 > >> [...]
7 > >
8 > > AFAICT, that changes the binutils configuraiton for the entire
9 > > system. That's not what I want to do. I want to use specific binutils
10 > > versions for specific make invocations. [...]
11
12 > Perhaps, pretend you're cross compiling? Perhaps you sort of are,
13 > anyway, even if just for other package versions on the same
14 > architecture?
15
16 > Might "crossdev" help?
17 >
18 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Embedded_Handbook/General/Creating_a_cross-compiler
19 >
20 > $ crossdev --help
21 > Usage: crossdev [options] --target TARGET
22
23 Thanks!
24
25 That looks promising. I was somewhat aware of crossdev, but it hadn't
26 occured to me to use it to to generate native toolchains with various
27 versions of gcc/binutils. In my case, I wouldn't need any libc at all,
28 but that shouldn't be a big problem.
31 Grant