From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to configure thochpad sensitivity (using hal)?
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 22:56:48
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 17:31 on Monday 15 November 2010, Grant
3 > Edwards did opine thusly:
6 >> On 2010-11-14, Mick<michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> Finally, if xorg-server-1.8 is around the corner to be stabilised I
9 >>> suggest that you unmask it and use the xorg.conf file that we all
10 >>> know and love. :-)
11 >>>
12 >> Using xorg.conf with 1.7 is simple enough (it's what I do on all my
13 >> other machines). That's why I don't understand why the Gentoo
14 >> developers decided to use HAL by default when it seems to be widely
15 >> acknowledged to be such a disaster.
16 >>
17 > The Gentoo devs made no such decision.
18 >
19 > Upstream did.
20 >
21 > Gentoo closely tracks upstream, unless upstream is completely broken. HAL
22 > might be a crock of chit, but it does not render X broken and not usable.
27 Actually, it rendered mine broken and not usable. If upstream walks off
28 the edge of a cliff, does Gentoo follow upstream then? What would have
29 been nice is if Gentoo would have at least made it something that the
30 user has to chose to do pro-actively and not the default. If they had
31 done that, for say six months or more, then the devs would have been
32 able to see the disaster and left it off by default. Actually, they may
33 could have even seen that it wasn't going to last at all and then not
34 ever have a user using it unless they chose too and enabled it
35 themselves. It's not like hal lasted for many years as a "stable" project.
36
37 I generally trust the devs. I did when I let hal take over the config
38 of X since it was the new way of doing things. You think I feel the
39 same way now? To give you a hint, I haven't switched to polkit or
40 whatever it is being called now. I think the reason is obvious. I
41 don't have the same amount of trust as I did before. They followed
42 upstream with hal and left me in a pickle. I haven't forgotten that yet
43 and won't for a long time. I'll switch when I am reasonably sure it is
44 safe to do so. That information will come from folks that are users
45 tho, not devs. If a lot of users don't like it or have trouble with it,
46 I won't switch. The key is the users this time. You, Alan, being one
47 of them. You got more trust with me than the devs do. Why, I don't
48 recall you guiding me off the cliff.
49
50 I didn't mention the KDE4 mess on purpose. KDE didn't leave Gentoo with
51 a option since it stopped support for it. Different situation there.
52 Very little choices to pick from.
53
54 Dale
55