From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USB crucial file recovery
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 23:39:25
1 On 02/09/2016 00:56, Kai Krakow wrote:
2 > Am Wed, 31 Aug 2016 02:32:24 +0200
3 > schrieb Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
4 >
5 >> On 31/08/2016 02:08, Grant wrote:
6 >> [...]
7 >> [...]
8 >>>>
9 >>>> You can't control ownership and permissions of existing files with
10 >>>> mount options on a Linux filesystem. See man mount.
11 >>>
12 >>>
13 >>> So in order to use a USB stick between multiple Gentoo systems with
14 >>> ext2, I need to make sure my users have matching UIDs/GIDs?
15 >>
16 >> Yes
17 >>
18 >> The uids/gids/modes in the inodes themselves are the owners and perms,
19 >> you cannot override them.
20 >>
21 >> So unless you have mode=666, you will need matching UIDs/GIDs (which
22 >> is a royal massive pain in the butt to bring about without NIS or
23 >> similar
24 >>
25 >>> I think
26 >>> this is how I ended up on NTFS in the first place.
27 >>
28 >> Didn't we have this discussion about a year ago? Sounds familiar now
29 >>
30 >>> Is there a
31 >>> filesystem that will make that unnecessary and exhibit better
32 >>> reliability than NTFS?
33 >>
34 >> Yes, FAT. It works and works well.
35 >> Or exFAT which is Microsoft's solution to the problem of very large
36 >> files on FAT.
37 >>
38 >> Which NTFS system are you using?
39 >>
40 >> ntfs kernel module? It's quite dodgy and unsafe with writes
41 >> ntfs-ng on fuse? I find that one quite solid
44 >> ntfs-ng does have an annoyance that has bitten me more than once. When
45 >> ntfs-nf writes to an FS, it can get marked dirty. Somehow, when used
46 >> in a Windows machine the driver there has issues with the FS. Remount
47 >> it in Linux again and all is good.
48 >
49 > Well, ntfs-ng simply sets the dirty flag which to Windows means "needs
50 > chkdsk". So Windows complains upon mount that it needs to chkdsk the
51 > drive first. That's all. Nothing bad.
52
53 No, that's not it. Read again what I wrote - i have a specific fail mode
54 which I don't care to investigate, not the general dirty state flag
55 setting you describe