From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: USB crucial file recovery
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 22:56:50
1 Am Wed, 31 Aug 2016 02:32:24 +0200
2 schrieb Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
3
4 > On 31/08/2016 02:08, Grant wrote:
5 > [...]
6 > [...]
7 > >>
8 > >> You can't control ownership and permissions of existing files with
9 > >> mount options on a Linux filesystem. See man mount.
12 > > So in order to use a USB stick between multiple Gentoo systems with
13 > > ext2, I need to make sure my users have matching UIDs/GIDs?
14 >
15 > Yes
16 >
17 > The uids/gids/modes in the inodes themselves are the owners and perms,
18 > you cannot override them.
19 >
20 > So unless you have mode=666, you will need matching UIDs/GIDs (which
21 > is a royal massive pain in the butt to bring about without NIS or
22 > similar
23 >
24 > > I think
25 > > this is how I ended up on NTFS in the first place.
26 >
27 > Didn't we have this discussion about a year ago? Sounds familiar now
28 >
29 > > Is there a
30 > > filesystem that will make that unnecessary and exhibit better
31 > > reliability than NTFS?
32 >
33 > Yes, FAT. It works and works well.
34 > Or exFAT which is Microsoft's solution to the problem of very large
35 > files on FAT.
36 >
37 > Which NTFS system are you using?
38 >
39 > ntfs kernel module? It's quite dodgy and unsafe with writes
40 > ntfs-ng on fuse? I find that one quite solid
43 > ntfs-ng does have an annoyance that has bitten me more than once. When
44 > ntfs-nf writes to an FS, it can get marked dirty. Somehow, when used
45 > in a Windows machine the driver there has issues with the FS. Remount
46 > it in Linux again and all is good.
47
48 Well, ntfs-ng simply sets the dirty flag which to Windows means "needs
49 chkdsk". So Windows complains upon mount that it needs to chkdsk the
50 drive first. That's all. Nothing bad.
51
52 > The cynic in me says that Microsoft didn'y implement their own FS spec
53 > properly whereas ntfs-ng did :-)
54
55 Or ntfs-ng simply doesn't trust itself enough while MS trusts itself
56 too much. Modern Windows kernels almost never set the dirty bit and
57 instead trust self-healing capabilities of NTFS by using repair
58 hotspots. By current design, NTFS may be broken at any time while
59 Windows tells you nothing about it. If the kernel comes across a
60 defective structure it marks it as a repair hotspot. A background
61 process repairs these online. If that fails, it is marked for offline
62 repair which is repaired silently during mount phase. But the dirty
63 bit? I haven't seen this in a long time (last time was Windows 2003).
64 Run a chkdsk on an aging Windows installation which has crashed one
65 or another time. Did you ever see a chkdsk running? No? Then run a
66 forced chkdsk. Chances are that it will find and repair problems. Run a
67 non-forced chkdsk: It will only check if there are repair hotspots. If
68 none are there, it says: Everything fine. It's lying at you.
69
70 But still, the papers about NTFS self-healing are quite interesting to
71 read. It just appears not as mature to me as MS thinks it to be.
74 Regards,
75 Kai
76
77 Replies to list-only preferred.