From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] building a machine for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 04:36:49
1 Dan Farrell wrote:
2 > On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 21:35:22 -0700
3 > "Julian Simioni" <spectre256@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> On 7/9/07, Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx> wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> Agreed, of course, but one nice thing about extra ram that it might
9 >>> be pertinent to mention is that it can be used to cache and
10 >>> significantly reduce hard drive I/O once the cache is primed.
11 >>>
12 >> I just upgraded my system from 1GB to 2GB of DDR2 ... [ & ] I honestly
13 >> have noticed no difference in speed while using Gentoo, which is by
14 >> far my primary OS. I'm sure a detailed analysis would show at least
15 >> slight improvement in some cases, but it probably isn't worth the
16 >> upgrade.
19 > Yeah, my desktop (up 23 days, so cache has had time to fill) has only
20 > managed to cache about half a gig worth of stuff, leaving 200 megs or
21 > thereabouts unused. . Most instances of applications I run are the same
22 > hd data, like a thousand firefoxes, xterms, mail, etc. So I think the
23 > 'significant' part only kicks in if you run lots of different
24 > programs. I wouldn't expect my desktop to go any faster either, but I
25 > would expect a little speedup if I were running a heavier window
26 > manager or a full-blown DE like gnome or kde.
27 >
28 > It might make a bigger difference if you were running 3d games or
29 > something, I guess.
33 I have had 1Gb on here for a long time and usually updatedb fills up
34 cache but other than that I don't use it all. I did once when I opened
35 about 400 pics with Gimp though. I use KDE and I do quite a bit of pic
36 stuff as far as storing them. I wouldn't spend the extra money on any
37 more memory for mine. I just don't see where any more would do any
38 good. Like others I think it depends on what you are doing. If you do
39 video editing or CAD or something then you may can use the extra memory
40 then. Other than that, just watch what is being used and get more when
41 you need it.
42
43 Oh, I run folding on here a lot and I get bigger units to work on since
44 I have more ram. My other rigs with a lot less memory get smaller
45 units. That helps some I guess.
46
47 Let us know what you get in the end and how things work out. Show us
48 some speed tests or something. ;-)
49
50 Dale
51