From: Tim Allingham <deserted@×××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] building a machine for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 07:23:50
1 I've recently moved from 1GB to 2GB of RAM, and have noticed a huge
2 difference for my usage, though I do lean quite heavily on it so for
3 most users it doesn't create much of a difference.
4
5 While running with 1GB I generally found I was sitting around 70-80%
6 utilisation, running a dual-head setup with Beryl, generally with 5-7
7 apps open (oOo, Opera, Nvu, Gnucash, X-chat etc). I would often emerge
8 programs while these were running, with 1GB it would create regular
9 "stutters" as the RAM filled up, with 2GB I rarely notice a slowdown at
10 all.
11
12 Tim Allingham
14 http://www.datafirst-it.com.au