From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dhcpd versus fixed IP addresses
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 23:37:35
1 On Mon, 05 Oct 2020 19:45:15 +0100, Michael wrote:
2
3 > > I have a Virgin cablemodem that I have switched into modem-only mode,
4 > > so it behaves similarly to your device, and plugged it into the
5 > > router. It gives a setup like you want, except I chose to use DHCP
6 > > for simplicity of administration.
7 >
8 > In the old days virgin modems were simple modems only, not routers.
9 > They had a GUI with minimal ability to do much, other than check what
10 > the WAN IP address allocated by the CMTS was. I suppose these days
11 > they're all in one + WiFi, with more configuration options.
12
13 And the facility for Virgin to access and administer them remotely.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery :)