From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dhcpd versus fixed IP addresses
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 18:45:49
1 On Monday, 5 October 2020 11:39:44 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 21:47:53 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > > On their support board, the ISP's tech support told me...
4 > >
5 > > a) My computer or router needs to be configured to get the IP
6 > >
7 > > automatically by DHCP to get the connection up and running.
8 > >
9 > > b) The TC4400 is a cable modem without any router capabilities, so
10 > >
11 > > there are no wifi antennas on the device. (This was in response
12 > > to my question about turning off wifi.)
13 > >
14 > > A Google search turned up a default config webpage and userID and
15 > >
16 > > password for the TC4400. If that doesn't work, I'll look into getting
17 > > a NAT-ing router that can get a dhcp IP address. The plan would be...
18
19 If the TC4400 is a modem only, then I expect it will act as a half-bridged
20 device. It will sync with the cable headend (CMTS) to obtain a radio
21 frequency range and time slot ("talk-time" or TDMA), then exchange Range-
22 Requests + Range-Responses to complete the DOCSIS protocol sync and move on to
23 the IP layer.
24
25 Then it will use dhcp to obtain a WAN IP address, default gateway, time (Time
26 of Day) server, and TFTP server addresses. It will download QoS and other
27 configuration information over TFTP from the CMTS server, along with
28 encryption keys (BPI), in order to complete its registration and obtain a
29 Service IDentifier (SID) from the CMTS.
30
31 As I understand it, ISP issued modems come already preconfigured with
32 encryption keys and hardcoded MACs and they are the only modems which will be
33 allowed to register with the ISP's CMTS. If this is a 3rd party modem, then
34 perhaps its MAC address will be used to register and exchange keys with the
35 CMTS, but I would think either this MAC address will need to be communicated
36 in advance with the ISP so it can be added to the provisioning servers, or an
37 ISP obtained MAC address will need to be configured on the modem. There may
38 be variations in this theme including PPPoE authentication via RADIUS servers
39 at the ISP end, but I'm not sure this is common practice.
40
41 Either way, the modem operating in a half-bridged mode will pass on the WAN IP
42 address to the LAN port transparently. The PC or router at the LAN port will
43 need to either know what this bridged WAN IP address is and have it configured
44 as a static IP address on its NIC so it can use it, or use DHCP to obtain it.
45
46 The above reflects my loose understanding of how this works, or is meant to
47 work with a cable modem without routing capabilities.
50 > I have a Virgin cablemodem that I have switched into modem-only mode, so
51 > it behaves similarly to your device, and plugged it into the router. It
52 > gives a setup like you want, except I chose to use DHCP for simplicity of
53 > administration.
54
55 In the old days virgin modems were simple modems only, not routers. They had
56 a GUI with minimal ability to do much, other than check what the WAN IP
57 address allocated by the CMTS was. I suppose these days they're all in one +
58 WiFi, with more configuration options.