From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dhcpd versus fixed IP addresses
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 10:39:59
1 On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 21:47:53 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > On their support board, the ISP's tech support told me...
4 >
5 > a) My computer or router needs to be configured to get the IP
6 > automatically by DHCP to get the connection up and running.
7 >
8 > b) The TC4400 is a cable modem without any router capabilities, so
9 > there are no wifi antennas on the device. (This was in response
10 > to my question about turning off wifi.)
11 >
12 > A Google search turned up a default config webpage and userID and
13 > password for the TC4400. If that doesn't work, I'll look into getting
14 > a NAT-ing router that can get a dhcp IP address. The plan would be...
17 Just about any router will do that, it's usually the default behaviour.
18
19 > * The cable modem would connect to the internet and pass an address
20 > via dhcp to the router.
21 >
22 > * The router would treat the dhcp-assigned address from the cable modem
23 > as "the internet" and expose 192.168.0.0/16 to my computers, which
24 > would allow my home computers to use static IP addresses as before.
27 I have a Virgin cablemodem that I have switched into modem-only mode, so
28 it behaves similarly to your device, and plugged it into the router. It
29 gives a setup like you want, except I chose to use DHCP for simplicity of
30 administration.
35 Neil Bothwick
36
37 The truth shall make you free, but first it shall piss you off.