From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changing mailuri for emailing emerge logs - AUTH version fails
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 18:20:17
1 On 2013-11-14 3:32 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 14/11/2013 18:16, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> I had changed the password to something simple for testing, and now,
4 >> after changing it back to my strong password, it fails with:
5 >>
6 >> "invalid SMTP AUTH configuration, trying unauthenticated"
7 >>
8 >> The password has two special characters in it that I'm sure are
9 >> problematic - a colon and a pipe symbol (I use a password generator, and
10 >> would prefer to use my same system without modification, if possible) -
11 >> so, how can I 'wrap' it so that it doesn't matter what characters are in
12 >> the password?
13 >>
14 >> I tried setting the username+password as a variable and using that:
15 >>
16 >> USER_PASS="user:pass"
17 >>
18 >> But it still failed with the same error..
19
20 > Quoting rules. Ugh. I've found only two methods that work in real life,
21 > neither satisfactory:
22 >
23 > 1. Start almost randomly escaping suspect characters with single,
24 > quotes, double quotes and backslashes till you find a combination that
25 > works. Then remove things one at a time and try infer what the rules area
26 >
27 > 2. Read the code
28 >
29 > Not the answer you were looking for, sorry about that, but I got nothing
30 > better.
31
32 Thanks Alan... well, I decided this just wasn't worth the hassle, so I
33 bit the bullet and made a really long (30 characters) random jumble of
34 letters and numbers for the password. I had to create a special account
35 in my password management app (passwordmaker firefox extension) just for
36 this use, but it works, and is secure enough for me to be able to sleep
37 at night. :)