From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changing mailuri for emailing emerge logs - AUTH version fails
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:33:57
1 On 14/11/2013 18:16, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-11-14 10:55 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> I had been trying user:secret@×××××××××.domain:587, and it kept failing
4 >> as if it wasn't using STARTTLS... then I started down a rabbit hole of
5 >> trying to configure postfix's sasl client, then decided that was way
6 >> overkill for what I was trying to accomplish...
7 >>
8 >> Then in a flash of inspiration, I decided to try 100587 for the port and
9 >> it just worked.
10 >
11 > Ok, another bump...
12 >
13 > I had changed the password to something simple for testing, and now,
14 > after changing it back to my strong password, it fails with:
15 >
16 > "invalid SMTP AUTH configuration, trying unauthenticated"
17 >
18 > The password has two special characters in it that I'm sure are
19 > problematic - a colon and a pipe symbol (I use a password generator, and
20 > would prefer to use my same system without modification, if possible) -
21 > so, how can I 'wrap' it so that it doesn't matter what characters are in
22 > the password?
23 >
24 > I tried setting the username+password as a variable and using that:
25 >
26 > USER_PASS="user:pass"
27 >
28 > But it still failed with the same error..
31 Quoting rules. Ugh. I've found only two methods that work in real life,
32 neither satisfactory:
33
34 1. Start almost randomly escaping suspect characters with single,
35 quotes, double quotes and backslashes till you find a combination that
36 works. Then remove things one at a time and try infer what the rules area
37
38 2. Read the code
39
40 Not the answer you were looking for, sorry about that, but I got nothing
41 better.
45 Alan McKinnon
46 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com