From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changing mailuri for emailing emerge logs - AUTH version fails
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 16:17:12
1 On 2013-11-14 10:55 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > I had been trying user:secret@×××××××××.domain:587, and it kept failing
3 > as if it wasn't using STARTTLS... then I started down a rabbit hole of
4 > trying to configure postfix's sasl client, then decided that was way
5 > overkill for what I was trying to accomplish...
6 >
7 > Then in a flash of inspiration, I decided to try 100587 for the port and
8 > it just worked.
9
10 Ok, another bump...
11
12 I had changed the password to something simple for testing, and now,
13 after changing it back to my strong password, it fails with:
14
15 "invalid SMTP AUTH configuration, trying unauthenticated"
16
17 The password has two special characters in it that I'm sure are
18 problematic - a colon and a pipe symbol (I use a password generator, and
19 would prefer to use my same system without modification, if possible) -
20 so, how can I 'wrap' it so that it doesn't matter what characters are in
21 the password?
22
23 I tried setting the username+password as a variable and using that:
24
25 USER_PASS="user:pass"
26
27 But it still failed with the same error..