From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changing mailuri for emailing emerge logs - AUTH version fails
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 15:56:22
1 On 2013-11-14 10:28 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Nevermind, removed the smtp.example.com entry that wasn't supposed to be
3 > there...
4 >
5 > Now to get SASL_AUTH working...
6
7 Ok, imnsho, the comments in /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example
8 are not sufficiently explicit...
9
10 > # port: port to use on the given smtp server (defaults to 25, values > 100000 indicate that starttls should be used on (port-100000))
11 > # Examples:
12 > #PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI="root@localhost localhost" (this is also the default setting)
13 > #PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI="user@××××.domain mail.some.domain" (sends mails to user@××××.domain using the mailserver mail.some.domain)
14 > #PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI="user@××××.domain user:secret@×××××××××.domain:100465" (this is left uncommented as a reader exercise ;)
15
16 It is unclear from this text that the first three characters of the
17 specified port are IGNORED...
18
19 I had been trying user:secret@×××××××××.domain:587, and it kept failing
20 as if it wasn't using STARTTLS... then I started down a rabbit hole of
21 trying to configure postfix's sasl client, then decided that was way
22 overkill for what I was trying to accomplish...
23
24 Then in a flash of inspiration, I decided to try 100587 for the port and
25 it just worked.
26
27 Anyway, on to prepping for building my first initramfs this weekend...