From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: New laptop is slow.
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 20:11:42
1 >> > >>> I just finished installing Gentoo on a Dell Vostro
4 >> > Now that it's working how do you like the screen, size, etc? That's one
5 >> > of the laptops I've been considering.
8 >> You just have to admire and honest (Dell) company....
11 > I had a Dell laptop a few years back.  It was the reason for maybe 2 years I
12 > didn't have a PC at all (which is very strange for my life).  I think almost
13 > every single component on it broke in a matter of 18-24 months.  It was
14 > purchased through a university, and I think the IT department must have
15 > thought I was using it as a frisbee on a regular basis .  A friend around
16 > the same time had a different model and it was also a pile.
17 >
18 > Not that N=2 statistics mean anything, of course.  Not sure anymore, but
19 > Dell was built on two basic policies: 1) Make profit by cutting out the
20 > middle man (you had to order things directly from Dell) 2) Buy the cheapest
21 > (crappiest) parts in bulk and assemble.
22 >
23 > I'm using Apple now, and aside from an entourage of complaints on the
24 > "assume user is an idiot" (fixed by running Linux) and proprietary hardware
25 > (everything can be hacked), the beast is rock solid.  Of course, one of my
26 > friends has the exact same model laptop and he had to ship it back like
27 > three times, so...who knows?
28 >
29 > Then again, the price of Vostros will blow Macbooks out of the water.  I
30 > guess you could just buy two Dells and cannibalize one when the
31 > keyboard/powersupply/harddrive/optical drive/usb port/ethernet port/screen
32 > hinge breaks (a short list of my old Dell problems).
33 >
34 > Regards,
35 > daid
36
37 I've had the same experience with Acer laptops. I've also had trouble
38 with screen hinges on Dell laptops.
39
40 - Grant