From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: New laptop is slow.
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 01:01:20
2 > > >>> I just finished installing Gentoo on a Dell Vostro
5 > > Now that it's working how do you like the screen, size, etc? That's one
6 > > of the laptops I've been considering.
9 > You just have to admire and honest (Dell) company....
12 I had a Dell laptop a few years back. It was the reason for maybe 2 years I
13 didn't have a PC at all (which is very strange for my life). I think almost
14 every single component on it broke in a matter of 18-24 months. It was
15 purchased through a university, and I think the IT department must have
16 thought I was using it as a frisbee on a regular basis . A friend around
17 the same time had a different model and it was also a pile.
18
19 Not that N=2 statistics mean anything, of course. Not sure anymore, but
20 Dell was built on two basic policies: 1) Make profit by cutting out the
21 middle man (you had to order things directly from Dell) 2) Buy the cheapest
22 (crappiest) parts in bulk and assemble.
23
24 I'm using Apple now, and aside from an entourage of complaints on the
25 "assume user is an idiot" (fixed by running Linux) and proprietary hardware
26 (everything can be hacked), the beast is rock solid. Of course, one of my
27 friends has the exact same model laptop and he had to ship it back like
28 three times, so...who knows?
29
30 Then again, the price of Vostros will blow Macbooks out of the water. I
31 guess you could just buy two Dells and cannibalize one when the
32 keyboard/powersupply/harddrive/optical drive/usb port/ethernet port/screen
33 hinge breaks (a short list of my old Dell problems).
34
35 Regards,
36 daid