From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireshark on Gentoo
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 18:38:28
1 Grant wrote:
2 > I'm confused on how to run wireshark on Gentoo. The ebuild says:
3 >
4 > * With version 0.99.7, all function calls that require elevated privileges
5 > * have been moved out of the GUI to dumpcap. WIRESHARK CONTAINS OVER ONE
6 > * POINT FIVE MILLION LINES OF SOURCE CODE. DO NOT RUN THEM AS ROOT.
7 > *
8 > * NOTE: To run wireshark as normal user you have to add yourself into
9 > * wireshark group. This security measure ensures that only trusted
10 > * users allowed to sniff your traffic.
11 >
12 > I added my user to the wireshark group, but there are no interfaces
13 > listed in the program. I read:
14 >
15 > http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/CapturePrivileges
16 >
17 > "Running Wireshark (or any other network capture/analyzer, for that
18 > matter) on Linux needs root privileges. Therefore, you have to have
19 > root privileges when starting Wireshark, else you can't capture data."
20 >
21 > I'm not sure how to proceed.
22 >
23 > - Grant
29 Works as a user here. Here is some info to compare against.
30
31 root@smoker / # emerge -pv wireshark
32
33 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
34
35 Calculating dependencies... done!
36 [ebuild R ] net-analyzer/wireshark-1.0.5 USE="caps gtk ipv6 pcap
37 pcre zlib -adns -gcrypt -gnutls -kerberos -lua -portaudio -profile
38 (-selinux) -smi -threads" 0 kB
39
40 Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
41 root@smoker / # cat /etc/group | grep wireshark
42 wireshark:x:444:dale
43 root@smoker / #
44