From: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT im more just curious
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:07:20
1 Mike Markowski wrote:
2 > Tony Stohne wrote:
3 >
4 >> hehe, there are some experienced guys (& gals?) on the list.
5 >> I'm 44...
8 > I'm also 44, have been using Unix since 1981 and still have my hardback
9 > book on the PDP 11/70 and my K&R C book from then. I remember being
10 > told not to run 'vi' when too many people were on because it would slow
11 > the machine down. :-) (Bad info it seems, but funny now.) My first pc
12 > unix was in 1991 and I forget if it was BSDFree or FreeBSD. X11 dist
13 > was X386. I'm pretty sure the OS was version 0.1. I remember loading
14 > floppy after floppy after floppy to get the os on, then it took a long
15 > time for X to start up with the disk grinding away. I also remember
16 > earlier days as a teen never being able to convince my parents to spring
17 > for the $500 TRS-80 or Heathkit... :-)
20 I remember the TRS-80! I also was brought up on the CBM or Commodore
21 PET (green screen with cassette tape drive). I started programming in
22 early 1983 using BASIC on the Commodore PET. Same CPU as the Apple IIe
23 (and Apple IIc). The release of the Commodore 64 was a God send, with
24 my first real option to write graphics and sound code along with
25 eventually writing my own assembler because I couldn't afford to buy one
26 ;-) 64KB was SO MUCH MEMORY back then! Oh yes, I am 35 years old.
27
28 Tom Veldhouse