From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to prevent emacs from installing v24?
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 20:49:18
1 On 2012-10-08, Nuno J. Silva <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt> wrote:
2 > On 2012-10-08, Michael Hampicke wrote:
3 >
4 >> Am 08.10.2012 18:39, schrieb Grant Edwards:
5 >>> How do I prevent emerge from demanding that emacs 24 be installed? I
6 >>> uninstalled it a few days ago and re-installed 23 because 24 was just
7 >>> too buggy to be usable.
8 >>
9 >> Well, I am sure there's a emacs command for that :) :)
10 >>
11 >> But seriously, like the other suggested, I would mask that specific
12 >> version of emacs.
13 >
14 > Regarding "too buggy to be usable",
15
16 I had all sorts of problems doing simple editing of C source files.
17 It seems like I couldn't edit for more than a dozen keystrokes before
18 it would "pop up" a lisp debugger window containing an unintelligible
19 (to me) traceback.
20
21 Once that happened, all sorts of things broke:
22
23 * matching brace highlight stopped working.
24
25 * Ctrl-XS didn't know the path/filename associated with the buffer.
26
27 * The F8/compile command stopped working.
30 > they really changed some of the defaults... it seems, for example,
31 > that Emacs is not doing copy-paste as expected anymore (tries to rely
32 > solely on the "clipboard", ignoring the X selection),
33
34 I hadn't noticed that one, but 24 was so unstable for me that I didn't
35 use it for very long before I went back to 23.
36
37 > and now highlights regions by default, like if setting the
38 > region was like doing text selection in a program such as Notepad.EXE.
39
40 I have that enabled in my .emacs file anyway.
41
42 > As some day I will have to switch to 24, does anyone have a list of
43 > settings to revert to the old Emacs behavior? I'm even wondering if
44 > anything else changed, other than these two things I noticed...
45
46 Maybe there's something incompatible with some of my add-ons ( Cscope,
47 and nxhmtl-mumamo-mode are probably the big ones), but I didn't find
48 24 usable enough to notice too many differences other than "23 works
49 and 24 doesn't".
52 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! This MUST be a good
53 at party -- My RIB CAGE is
54 gmail.com being painfully pressed up
55 against someone's MARTINI!!