From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to prevent emacs from installing v24?
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 05:30:24
1 On 2012-10-08, Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > On 2012-10-08, Nuno J. Silva <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt> wrote:
4 >> On 2012-10-08, Michael Hampicke wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Am 08.10.2012 18:39, schrieb Grant Edwards:
7 >>>> How do I prevent emerge from demanding that emacs 24 be installed? I
8 >>>> uninstalled it a few days ago and re-installed 23 because 24 was just
9 >>>> too buggy to be usable.
10 >>>
11 >>> Well, I am sure there's a emacs command for that :) :)
12 >>>
13 >>> But seriously, like the other suggested, I would mask that specific
14 >>> version of emacs.
15 >>
16 >> Regarding "too buggy to be usable",
17 >
18 > I had all sorts of problems doing simple editing of C source files.
19 > It seems like I couldn't edit for more than a dozen keystrokes before
20 > it would "pop up" a lisp debugger window containing an unintelligible
21 > (to me) traceback.
22 >
23 > Once that happened, all sorts of things broke:
24 >
25 > * matching brace highlight stopped working.
26 >
27 > * Ctrl-XS didn't know the path/filename associated with the buffer.
28 >
29 > * The F8/compile command stopped working.
30
31 I think you were hit by some incompatibility between additional emacs
32 packages and the emacs version. Do you have any external elisp files?
33 If not, did you run emacs-updater?
34
35 In fact, I got some backtraces and errors until I ran emacs-updater,
36 after that, almost every package worked correctly, except for an
37 external one that needs to be updated due to some changes in the way
38 font-lock is done.
39
40 Anyway, that was probably what made me postpone the upgrade: too much
41 work, fixing old packages by hand *and* figuring out which other
42 settings did they change.
43
44 (If you end up trying emacs-updater to fix emacs 24, you will need to
45 run it again after eselecting emacs 23, if you want to go back to emacs
46 23.)
47
48 >> they really changed some of the defaults... it seems, for example,
49 >> that Emacs is not doing copy-paste as expected anymore (tries to rely
50 >> solely on the "clipboard", ignoring the X selection),
51 >
52 > I hadn't noticed that one, but 24 was so unstable for me that I didn't
53 > use it for very long before I went back to 23.
54
55 I've noticed this one, because I sometimes rely on copy-paste a lot. And
56 by copy-paste I mean the X selection...
57
58 >> and now highlights regions by default, like if setting the
59 >> region was like doing text selection in a program such as Notepad.EXE.
60 >
61 > I have that enabled in my .emacs file anyway.
62
63 This kinda distracts me, I've got it set in a way that, if I hit C-space
64 once, it does not highlight. If I, for some reason, actually need
65 highlighting, I can hit C-space twice.
66
67 >> As some day I will have to switch to 24, does anyone have a list of
68 >> settings to revert to the old Emacs behavior? I'm even wondering if
69 >> anything else changed, other than these two things I noticed...
70 >
71 > Maybe there's something incompatible with some of my add-ons ( Cscope,
72 > and nxhmtl-mumamo-mode are probably the big ones), but I didn't find
73 > 24 usable enough to notice too many differences other than "23 works
74 > and 24 doesn't".
77 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
78 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/