From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to prevent emacs from installing v24?
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 14:28:39
1 On 2012-10-09, Nuno J. Silva <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt> wrote:
2
3 > I think you were hit by some incompatibility between additional emacs
4 > packages and the emacs version. Do you have any external elisp files?
5 > If not, did you run emacs-updater?
6
7 The only significant external elisp I have is nxhtml (which I rarely
8 use).
9
10 > In fact, I got some backtraces and errors until I ran emacs-updater,
11 > after that, almost every package worked correctly, except for an
12 > external one that needs to be updated due to some changes in the way
13 > font-lock is done.
14
15 IIRC, I did get font-lock errors when I tried nxhtml. But what
16 finally drove me back to using 23 was the inability to edit plain C
17 source files using the built-in c-mode.
18
19 > Anyway, that was probably what made me postpone the upgrade: too much
20 > work, fixing old packages by hand *and* figuring out which other
21 > settings did they change.
22 >
23 > (If you end up trying emacs-updater to fix emacs 24, you will need to
24 > run it again after eselecting emacs 23, if you want to go back to
25 > emacs 23.)
26
27 I don't remember running emacs-updater, so I probably didn't. But
28 shouldn't built-in c-mode to work without running emacs-updater?
31 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I just had a NOSE
32 at JOB!!
33 gmail.com