From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to prevent emacs from installing v24?
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 16:41:37
1 On 2012-10-09, Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > On 2012-10-09, Nuno J. Silva <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I think you were hit by some incompatibility between additional emacs
6 >> packages and the emacs version. Do you have any external elisp files?
7 >> If not, did you run emacs-updater?
8 >
9 > The only significant external elisp I have is nxhtml (which I rarely
10 > use).
11 >
12 >> In fact, I got some backtraces and errors until I ran emacs-updater,
13 >> after that, almost every package worked correctly, except for an
14 >> external one that needs to be updated due to some changes in the way
15 >> font-lock is done.
16 >
17 > IIRC, I did get font-lock errors when I tried nxhtml. But what
18 > finally drove me back to using 23 was the inability to edit plain C
19 > source files using the built-in c-mode.
20 >
21 >> Anyway, that was probably what made me postpone the upgrade: too much
22 >> work, fixing old packages by hand *and* figuring out which other
23 >> settings did they change.
24 >>
25 >> (If you end up trying emacs-updater to fix emacs 24, you will need to
26 >> run it again after eselecting emacs 23, if you want to go back to
27 >> emacs 23.)
28 >
29 > I don't remember running emacs-updater, so I probably didn't. But
30 > shouldn't built-in c-mode to work without running emacs-updater?
31
32 Well, I'm no Emacs expert, but I guess it should... after all,
33 emacs-updater won't even touch it...
36 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
37 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/