From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] package.provided messes up emerging of package slots?
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 16:32:47
1 On Sep 12, 2011 11:11 PM, "Nikos Chantziaras" <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > In my /etc/portage/profile/package.provided, I have this:
4 >
5 > media-libs/freetype-1.4_pre20080316-r2
6 >
7 > When I try to emerge freetype however, instead of emerging the newer
8 version, I get:
9 >
10 > $ emerge freetype
11 >
12 > WARNING: A requested package will not be merged because it is listed
13 > in package.provided:
14 >
15 > freetype pulled in by 'args'
16 >
17 > Nothing to merge; would you like to auto-clean packages? [Yes/No]
18 >
19 > Trying "emerge freetype:2" also won't work. The only only to emerge it
20 seems is by using the whole version ("emerge =freetype-2.4.6"). Is this a
21 bug?
25 Why did you have that line in package.provided, in the first place? Did you
26 install freetype on your own, without using portage?
27
28 The way I see it, Portage worked perfectly: it saw that you have installed a
29 certain version of freetype on your own, and it didn't want to mess up your
30 installed package.
31
32 Just delete the line and emerge freetype.
33
34 (someone please CMIIW)
35
36 Rgds,