From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: package.provided messes up emerging of package slots?
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 16:52:45
1 On 09/12/2011 07:31 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sep 12, 2011 11:11 PM, "Nikos Chantziaras" <realnc@×××××.de
4 > <mailto:realnc@×××××.de>> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > In my /etc/portage/profile/package.provided, I have this:
7 > >
8 > > media-libs/freetype-1.4_pre20080316-r2
9 > >
10 > > When I try to emerge freetype however, instead of emerging the newer
11 > version, I get:
12 > >
13 > > $ emerge freetype
14 > >
15 > > WARNING: A requested package will not be merged because it is listed
16 > > in package.provided:
17 > >
18 > > freetype pulled in by 'args'
19 > >
20 > > Nothing to merge; would you like to auto-clean packages? [Yes/No]
21 > >
22 > > Trying "emerge freetype:2" also won't work. The only only to emerge
23 > it seems is by using the whole version ("emerge =freetype-2.4.6"). Is
24 > this a bug?
25 >
26 > Why did you have that line in package.provided, in the first place? Did
27 > you install freetype on your own, without using portage?
28
29 Portage installs both freetype-1 as well as freetype-2. texlive has
30 freetype-1 as a dep, and I don't want it installed because I'm not using
31 ttf2tfm.
34 > The way I see it, Portage worked perfectly: it saw that you have
35 > installed a certain version of freetype on your own, and it didn't want
36 > to mess up your installed package.
37 >
38 > Just delete the line and emerge freetype.
39
40 From my point of view, it doesn't work perfectly, because it behaves
41 differently when freetype-1 is really installed, and when it's not but
42 listed in package.provided. If I install freetype-1 and type:
43
44 emerge freetype
45
46 it will emerge freetype:2. So the behavior is vastly different between
47 having freetype really installed, and when not but listed in
48 package.provided.